We got back from our trip a few days ago and I am still reflecting on the many things I saw and experienced. With ease I decided the first post I want to write about is the reality of prayer. I didn't have a Bible on the trip, though I did have a few passages written down. The most prevailing verses that I thought about, I didn't have written but are the ones below...
"Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!" Matthew 7: 9-11
Throughout the trip these verses came to mind because we saw the constant reality that God loves and cares for His people. When we were there, everyday we were faced with realities and struggles that we had no control over: sickness, uncertainty, danger, travel, language barriers and frustrations... and yet, all of them were handled by our gracious Father. A dear friend of mine, Suzanne, is known for the phrase, "He gives and He gives and He gives." This phrase came to mind a lot on this trip. Our Dad gives us good things... and we saw Him do this over and over and over again. He cares intimately for us and will meet our needs. I mean He cares about little birds! I think He can handle our requests.
Everyday, driving out to the area where we were working we pulled over and parked overlooking this lake and asked God to work in and through us, to protect, heal and strengthen us. Just the view of the lake was a huge gift we got to experience everyday!
It is a sweet reality to live and bask in the good gifts of our Dad. His love and provision were enveloping throughout our trip and learning to see His provision as my daily reality here in Austin has been so sweet. It's not that God answers more prayer there than here... it's that I don't acknowledge His goodness daily. I don't ask for a safe ride home from HEB because I just assume it will happen... but isn't God the one who holds your car in His hands as you drive? And I don't wonder about where my next meal will come from when my pantry is full... but isn't God the one who supplies all of the things that enable me to have food at my home? So thank Him today for meeting your needs both big and small or go before Him and lay your requests before Him. Your Dad knows what you need and cares deeply to commune with you... let us acknowledge His goodness together.
2 comments:
I smiled from ear to ear when I saw the title of this post! :)) Any chance we could have a skype date so I can hear more of your trip?
Kimbo I love this! Some similar thoughts have caught my attention lately. I can't wait to hear more about your trip!
Post a Comment