Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Happy Merry Christmas Birthday!


Did you know I absolutely love birthdays? And DID YOU KNOW that I stinking love Christmas. I just do. The music, the lights, the meaning, the tree, the smells, everything. Both Christmas and my birthday can be so overwhelmingly exciting for me that I don't know how to soak up every single moment. You know things like that? Where all you really want is to bottle it up and keep it with you forever? Anyways...

The other question is, did you know my birthday is also Christmas in July?! July 25th, aka Christmas in July, is MY birthday. That alone is a birthday gift every single year! It's almost too good to be true. So literally all day I've been listening to Christmas music and experiencing that childlike giddy feeling. Weird? Maybe. But I could share something more weird that I do... but we will just not write about those.
 I think another reason I love birthdays and Christmas is because they are such special days. I always feel the need to reflect and gauge life by them. Markers, if you will. Last year was my golden birthday, you know, the year when your age and the date match up? For instance, I was 25 on the 25th. But this year, I'm 26 on the 25th. But it's still really special because I made it another year! A lot has happened in this past year as I reflect (while listening to Christmas music)...

1. Finished working at Hill Country Bible Church.
2. I started full-time at Mission Possible Austin.
3. I changed roles at Mission Possible Austin.
4. I moved in with my best friend from college and then added two of my other dearest friends to the Sweetwater abode.
5. I ran a half-marathon with my sister and dad.
6. I went to Italy. to see two dear friends get married. and had a blast while doing it.
7. Went through a few months of "seconds" at work.
8. Reached a fitness goal of being able to go and compete in an event without explicitly training for it. 9. Saw two of my closest friends in Austin get engaged! Their weddings are to come...
10. Got a new neice!! Elena. So precious. (this is relatively in chronological order, not importance or this would be #1)
11. Saw The Dark Knight Rises.
12. Had my first solo garage sale.

Ok, ok... but seriously everything on this list is something I had to either work towards, spent a lot of time anticipating or spent a lot of energy on this past year. If I had to really nail down what this past year of life has been like for me, it's been practicing steadfast obedience in the midst of change.

I never expected a year of change. I just didn't. But God had other plans. And as things this past year whirled all around me, God called me to walk faithfully. To not place my confidence or foundation in anything but Him. People change. Work changes. Your close community changes. But He is ALWAYS faithful. I feel like I could say that at every single birthday. Well I can, because it is nothing but truth.

I'm living today with gratitude. Grateful for incredible people around me who love and support me and put up with me. :) Grateful for life and health and joyful times. But most importantly, I'm grateful for Jesus because without Him this birthday and every other day would be hopeless. But instead today I am filled with hope of the coming year and what HE will do...

 I love you all. Soli Deo Gloria.

1 comment:

MOM said...

Merry Birthday Kimbo! It's been 26 of the most wonderful years in my life too! LOVE having you for a daughter - Kimbo, Choo-Choo, Dressy, Kimberly Delane..Happy July 25th!