I've always enjoyed change. Anyone who has ever lived with knows this to some extent. Roommates coming home to a completely rearranged home is commonplace in my world. I've moved quite a few times over the last 10 years, between cities, countries, houses, and communities of friends. God has been the most faithful of companions through all of those changes, and that has not stopped today.
I write this blog from Lawton, Oklahoma, where I prepare to begin a new career with a nonprofit called Operation Homefront. New career? That's right… the changes that have been on the horizon for the last few months as I prepare to marry Garrett are now staring me in the face. As of last week, I have an address in Killeen, TX, where Ft Hood is located. As of last week, I had my last day of work with Mission: Possible! Austin. As of last week, my Honda Civic that I loved dearly was sold and I was blessed to be able to purchase my grandfather's car.
That's a lot of changes in one week… And as I sit in Lawton, OK and reflect on this last week, and on the first wedding shower I was graciously given yesterday in Wichita Falls, I'm incredibly encouraged. In every season of life, God has put amazing women, men, families, and friends into my path. Literally, I couldn't ask for better.
Transitioning from what seems like one world (my single life in Austin) to another world (my future married life/ life in Killeen and serving military families), I'm often overcome with the magnitude and amount of change that is occurring in my life at once. I said I like change, but sometimes I don't like change. I don't like feeling out of my comfort zone. I don't like feeling out of control. I don't like when my emotions seem different than my thought process, and yet that seems to be an everyday occurrence at present.
This transition seems different than all the others, maybe because I have literally no idea what it will be like on so many fronts. I don't have a clue really about marriage, I mean I've never been married! And I don't know how to be a military wife, or much about the military at all really! But God has called me and is preparing me and has been preparing me. I think that is one of the coolest shifts in perspective I experience on almost a daily basis.
When I live in fear of the unknown, I seek control or doubt the Lord. But when I remember the Lord goes before me and He is walking with me, it's exciting to take steps of faith knowing He is making the path come together. I love that… God makes a way for His people, like the Israelites when they crossed the Red Sea. God can literally part the waters and create a way for us to walk through it.
One of my favorite scriptures at any changing point in life, is when the Lord speaks to Joshua, after the death of Moses. He tells Joshua that everything He had promised to Moses, will still come true through the obedience of Joshua. The Lord tells Joshua to, "be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)
I have seen the promises of the Lord's faithfulness prove true in my life. As I step out in faith into this new season of life, I'm reminded that the Lord is with me and He has very clearly made a way for me. I get the opportunity to walk in faith and obedience, trusting in His loving care for me.
So today I begin a new job! And in 47 short days I marry Garrett! Let's do this!
No comments:
Post a Comment