So time stinking flies when I work at camp. If I am unable for some reason to post one weekend on my 24 hours off, then it is at least two weeks between posts and I haven't been able to post in like three week or something. I apologize for that. With that said, camp is awesome! I am having so much fun this summer you wouldn't believe.
My daily job consists of arranging and rearranging where the 100+ staff go each day, with different meetings with different people plugged in to each day, coming up with ideas for skits/theme nights and following through with the details as well as the big pictures behind them and then just serving and loving on the people who are at camp each and every day. It is more fun than you could ever imagine, at least for me. I think back to December when I had actually decided not to return to camp and then a month later really felt like that was where God had me this summer. It was during that month of trying to "move on" and think of summer without camp that God showed me how much I really love it. The last two Thursdays around 8pm when most people are probably watching Grey's or So You Think You Can Dance... I have been dressed up as Mrs. Clause leading 250 or so 2nd-5th graders in a Christmas Dance Party. I mean, that is way more fun for me.
Funny Random Stories:
Andrew Evans (a week 1 camper and the son of a pastor of my church at school) told me Friday night after the staff all get dressed up, which implies that I really had tried to look nice, "Funky Chick'n... your hair looks nasty." I just laughed. Gotta love brutal honesty.
We dress up as characters from the Old Testament and perform monologues in order to make the Bible studies more understandable. I was dressed up as the wife of a Philistine soldier and I was walking up to this pavilion from the woods when a camper saw me and said, "Look! An angel!"
The Lord does some incredible things at camp. Some of you may know what I mean and others may not fully understand what that means. When you take someone out of their daily life and put them in a very intense setting for a week at a time (for campers) and for a few months (for staff)... the Lord works. Intense, fast-paced settings seem to really bring out the worst in you and then show you how much grace God has for all those little flaws, which deeply rooted are the fall of man. It is when you realize all the mess ups and all the sin that Christ died for that salvation and grace become so much more than words. Kids and staff alike really get to see grace, see selfless love and see humility. All of these things point to Jesus and sometimes when we get distracted with the daily things in life we begin to forget the love and forgiveness we have been given through the cross.
Camp is awesome... but hear me when I say that it is only because of Jesus... and He works daily in every circumstance to draw us closer into a relationship with Him. I hope you see that today.
1 comment:
I'm so glad you started a blog! :)
Post a Comment