Sunday, September 28, 2008

how ridiculous is my life.

So I decided to make a post that contains some of the ridiculous things that have happened to me here in Mexico.

1. The aforementioned slaughter of the tin man. This is his photo. Imagine the slight tippage of him followed by my roommate catching him and then setting him back up. Now imagine again, continuing to walk and turning around to watch his body slam against the concrete, causing his head to fall off. Goodness.

2. The first day at a cafe when I couldn't remember the word for "the bill". Using my handy dictionary I found two words listed next to bill in the dictionary: 1) el billete; 2) la cuenta. I decided to choose "el billete" and asked the man, "Puedo tener el billete?" Which translated means, "Am I able to have the bills?" The bills. The dollar bills. I asked the man to hand over the money... similar to a thief. He stared at me blankly as I pointed to a bill laying on the counter. He replied, "la cuenta?" .... I just nodded, embarrassed to open my mouth again.

3. The weekend I went to the Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta I was so excited to purchase toiletries that looked familiar. I knew I needed lotion, so I went to the lotion/soap aisle. I looked around and purchased a smaller bottle, considering I wouldn't need it for long. For a good week, I used this lotion. Though it was always really thick and hard to put on. I was talking to Kristen one night on Skype, telling her this... when it dawned on me, "is this lotion?" Of course all the writing is in Spanish and it mentioned "pies" (feet) and other things... I then showed it to my roommate Teryn who translated it fully. It is intense body cleanser. I had been lotioning my legs, feet and hands with cleanser. It was a very laughable moment.

4. Today on a hike, I saw 2 wild donkeys, a family of cows in a ditch, and other farm animals. Awesome... I didn't do anything to mess with them, but it is still ridiculous.

5. I think this is funny. On our last test, we had to write a few sentences in Spanish using the subjunctive tense, which is used to express doubt, wishful thinking... really anything uncertain. These were my sentences (I will post them in English): "I doubt that I will make a good grade on this test. I hope that my professor is nice. I am unsure if after this test I will be able to make a good grade." ... It worked I guess. She didn't count off anything for my sentence choices. :)

That's all I can think of for the moment.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hurray for new post!! I enjoyed readying about your zany mishaps....i liked the fact that you were using cleanser for a week. Did you happen to get caught in the rain and your leg start sudsing up?

TheLudlows said...

Your last post inspired me to make some choco chip cookies. They were yummy too!
I love it when you embarss yourself in a different language!

Melissa said...

Do you remember when dad was using shower gel as lotion? His was written in English if that makes you feel better! He used it for about a week too before he made a comment to mom...runs in the fam I guess...