Wednesday, September 24, 2008

mmm... is that cookies i smell?

So for the past 4 weeks there has been one of the packages for making chocolate chip cookies staring me in the face at every meal. This poor package has yet to be used, but it gave me a brilliant idea. I asked my Senora (house mom) on Sunday, "Puedo hacer galletas?" (Am I able to make cookies?)... she replied with a very excited "Si, Si" (yes, yes). She then bounced around the kitchen showing me all the ingredients she had that I could use to make cookies from scratch.

She pulled out butter, sugar, baking powder, oatmeal, flour, and salt. She asked if I would need anything else... the answer to that is a definite yes. Chocolate chips! She told me she didn't have any but explained where I could buy them.
So yesterday I found a recipe online for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I figured I would need to go buy brown sugar and chocolate chips. I then proceeded to the store where I could buy the necessary ingredients.

The store was basically a counter with glass jars of sprinkles, chocolate chips, and whatever else one would want to make any type of sweets. The chocolate chips looked a little old, but whatcha gonna do? He pulled it down and asked me how many grams I wanted? Grams? Like I know grams... I told him I would watch him put in on the scale and tell him then. I ended up getting 200 grams. We moved on to the brown sugar and I got 200 grams of brown sugar. I was basically eye-balling it. I put the newly filled plastic bag of brown sugar in my hand and thought, "sure, this is about a cup."
Home I went... baked the cookies like normal and then ate them. My Senora has yet to cease telling me how "rica" (good tasting) they are. She has also congratulated me more than once and this morning asked if I would be making more cookies.

My response to her: "Si"
My response in my head: "Are you kidding me!? Of course I'll make more cookies!"

Change of Subject:
From today we only have one more week of class left here in Mexico. Next Tuesday we have a grammar test and next Wednesday (last day of class) we have individual presentations.

Today's presentation was with partners. Teryn and I compared and contrasted our schools. She attends a small, private, liberal arts college in Iowa. And I attend Texas A&M...

Needless to say, it went well... and I ended my presentation with a big ole "WHOOP!" Everyone laughed and my professor looked at me wide-eyed... she didn't even see it coming. Hah.







4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so proud of your cooking abilities!!! Hurray for cookies, i like to dip my cookies in a cup of coffee. You should get your hands on some mexican vanilla extract....its legit! Holler at your boy.

CEH said...

Kimbo! just found your blog and plan to be a regular reader. I love blogs!
caitlinhodges.blogspot.com

miss you friend!

Haley said...

you are so great! I love reading these... ahha

Paige said...

those cookies look amazing!! I so wish we had chocolate chips here...they are nowhere to be found :( So...no chocolate chip cookies for me. We made snickerdoodles though and they were delish! maybe send some my way??