Friday, October 10, 2008

Exercising my rights as an American, in Peru

Today I exercised my freedoms as an American citizen by mailing in my ballot for the November election. I remember my first opportunity to vote in the 2004 election. It was exciting but this was so much more exciting for many reasons.

One, I feel like I actually have political opinions these days. In 2004, I don't know what I was thinking necessarily but I know I didn't have as much of an opinion and desire to exercise my right to vote as I do now.

Two, I am in Peru. Have you received that memo? I had to work hard to get to vote. My grandfather got my absentee ballot request form for me in August in Wichita Falls. I filled that out to be sent to Lima in October. My mother had to mail the request to College Station for me. Then I got it the first day I was here (last Saturday). I voted Wednesday night on my bed (while watching Tuesday night's debate) and then had to get directions yesterday to the post office. Simple things like finding a post office are big accomplishments in another country (p.s.).

So today after class I went to the "Serpost" as the post office is called. It cost me 17 soles (around $6 USD) to send my ballot in "certificado". When I left the post office, I just felt so "proud to be an American" (thank you Lee Greenwood). I've already decided... I plan on listening to that song on my ipod as I walk into the Houston airport in December, in between Christmas music of course.

Tomorrow I will have been in Lima a week. What!? This time last week I was packing up to leave Mexico. My head hurts from one of a few things I've decided: the stop and go traffic, the pollution, exhaustion, thinking in two languages, walking around an anthropology museum for 3 hours today, or moving and changing countries so much. You tell me.

It's Friday night and I'm planning on watching a movie alone in my room and going to bed early. I'm just plain pooped. :)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

john mccain is thankful for your support.

i mean, just kidding. barack obama isn't so bad.

i love you kimbo! and i love reading about your life and your thoughts and i'm so glad you're an american.

peace, love, and democracy,
crob