Saturday, August 9, 2008

Me gusta Panama.


Well I just got back from Panama two days ago. It was a very learning experience. Though I have been there 2 years prior, every year is different. Different things, different teammmates, different lessons learned. I think that in general, the Lord is teaching me what it means to be faithful. To be obedient.

Obedience.

Goodness gracious. That is a hard concept for me according to the way I was in Panama. Generally speaking, it is hard for me to wake up every day completely assured that whatever that day brings is exactly the moments the Lord has ordained me to live out. I think I wonder sometimes why things are hard or why I am in situations that I don't understand. In the big realm of sanctification, my focus should not be on the fruit of the ministry I see but rather on who God is and that He alone is being worshiped in my actions and in my heart.

I have so many funny stories and so many pictures... I'll post a few.

This is a picture of the man in one of the cabin's at Chiriquita. Yes, there was a squirrel in our cabin and yes we could hold it in our hands. Literally, we were holding and petting this quasi-tame squirrel. This was not the case with all of the squirrels, just this one.

This is me with our team leader Lori. She has been with me every year and has become a dear friend to me over those long hard weeks in Panama. Many a laugh has been shared with her. We are at a public park in Panama City for this picture.

This is four of my teammates and myself with one of the Panamanian leaders, Alvaro. One morning we were scouting out where to play some camp games for later when we ended up on an adventure. I like to describe it as having gone to Narnia. We crossed over this river into another world and then had to cross back at another point in order to return to camp. On the other side of the river was people who lived in villages, similar to the ones in Malawi (last summer) except in a tropical setting. The people were using a 100 year old machine to turn sugar cane into sugar water to sell for profit. Another woman we met lived in a hut and was present when the first missionary brought the Gospel to Panama... she was incredible and prayed over us before we left her house. That was definitely a highlight of my trip.

Panama was an adventure... and a hard, teachable time for me. Reminding me of my love for Latin America as well as teaching me to live everyday for that day and not to worry about the future.

This week is the final week at Pine Cove, perhaps forever. And then to Wichita Falls for a few days before leaving on the 25th. Only 16 more days left in America. Wowzas! And I just returned.

Oh the life I live.

1 comment:

Haley said...

yay for blogs.
i love you, kimberly! I'm so glad we got to hang out just a little this summer. Know that I am praying for you this next semester, and I can't wait to see you when I do...