Sunday, August 31, 2008

These are the days of my life...

I am awaiting my first morning of classes tomorrow. Honestly, it will be a good break from all this waiting for things to begin. This weekend we went to a few more museums (including a mine as the picture portrays). We also went to a soccer game in the next town over, Leon (note the other picture). The soccer game was really fun, being from the family I am from and all... as well as it being such a big deal here. The game was between two cities basically and the town we were cheering for won. So that was exciting!

I decided recently that it is when you are trying to blend into another culture, is when you probably stick out the most. If my skin color, hair color, dress, and speech aren't enough... there is always a good moment like this one that sneaks up on you:

As my roommate and I were walking down the street the other day (which you do to get anywhere and everywhere), we were just chatting it up and passing all the small shops. They are all open air and really don't have doors that close... thus things come all the way out to the sidewalk. Well this one store had a metal knight (similar to Rusty, for those who know Rusty) standing in the corner of the entrance with his little spear leaning a bit in my walking path. As we passed it I accidentally hit and my roommate Teryn, with her stealth skills, caught it and set it back up. We proceeded on, and literally two steps later, the knight did one of those slow motion falls where you turn and just watch it slam it's face on the concrete, causing the helmet/head to fall off. I immediately looked at the knight, then looked at Teryn, then looked at the guy who owned to store... bewildered and hoping that I wasn't going to have to pay for a stinking metal knight (which technically I already own one in C-Stat). The man rushed over and through my broken Spanish was extremely apologetic and he was very gracious. He just set it back up on its stand and put its head back on. It was quite humorous.

Everyday I am forced to walk past the knight, and am reminded that sometimes as much as you want to blend in... your clumsiness may just sneak up on you and teach you otherwise.

No comments: