Saturday, September 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Vicki!! (on the 21st)

Happy Birthday Vicki! I want to start giving shout outs to people on their birthdays and the 21st is my grandmother Vicki's birthday... so Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day today!

Today, Saturday, my roommate and I went to the Mega... which is the local mall that I talked about a few posts ago. Well, Mamma Mia came out here (yes, very late) and so we went to see it. I hadn't seen it and so it was really fun to watch in Spanish. All of the dialogue was in Spanish while the songs were in English. I was able to understand enough to follow along. Seeing it on Broadway 5 years ago did not help at all... somehow I don't remember the Broadway production at all.
The other extremely exciting thing that happened was my purchase today...
I have thought a lot about what to buy here in Mexico. I am not much for random trinkets or random "junk"... but I saw this pair of Converse a few weeks ago and really liked them.

First of all, for those who know me well, you know I love shoes and yet recently I have tried to be more particular with the shoes I buy.

Secondly, I love art... and well, these shoes are part of special collection dedicated to the Mexican painted Frida Kahlo. I have studied Frida in school and enjoy her artwork, though, for the avid blog readers, her husband, Diego Rivera, is one of my favorite Mexican painters of all time.
So here are the new pair of Converse I purchased today as my main purchase in Mexico. I absolutely love them. They have Spanish writing all over them... it says along the sole, "If I have wings to fly..."

Quite appropriate. I hope they are a big hit with the blog crowd.

Happy Birthday Vicki, once again! I miss you!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

love the shoes! freshman year we had to watch a documentary on freda... she is a little disturbing, but her work is rather impressive. miss you Funky!

Haley said...

i love the shoes.. they are so you. :)

Melissa said...

Great purchase! I won't wear a pair, but you totally made the right decision for you!