Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Thank you USPS... you made my week.

I have known that I would hopefully receive a package within a span of 3-4 days... and TODAY was the day! Camp friends would understand the feeling of anticipating a package or any shred of the outside world everyday. Today far surpassed that feeling one gets when they look under the mail table at camp, scanning the pile of packages for one with the glorious name of, "Funky Chick'n."

Even seeing my parents hand-writing on the package made home feel so much closer. It contained a few articles of clothing that will take the place of some that I will very soon be throwing in the trash can. All of our clothes are washed in this basin thing and then hung dry. Favorite tees from Old Navy take a sick beating, to say the least. And after only 4 washes or so, are screaming for retirement. The package also contained my favorite pens (which for my elitism in writing utensils is almost a necessity). There were also some gifts for host parents in other countries as well as some books! Mom: I will definitely read The Alchemist. I am looking forward to it in fact.

Sunday...

We climbed a mountain. It was an early morning hike which culminated in sitting and seeing the view of the city of Guanajuato in the valley as well as the neighboring mountains. Yesterday I went for a run on the Panoramica... it is a road right by my house that looks over the city. This place is beautiful. Beautiful. I love when I am able to just clear my mind and remember the beauty of life around me. In people, in nature, in buildings, in art. It screams the existence of a personal, intimate Creator. Not just some happenstance of things or even a god who has removed himself from this world.

No. That is not who God is. I was telling my friend the other day about God's goodness. Goodness. It's hard to remember that sometimes when we are focused on what is right in front of us and our selfishness pleads for "justice" or "understanding." What if I am just supposed to believe and trust. God is real. The death of Jesus does offer forgiveness, it does offer freedom and grace.

Soli Deo Gloria.